Making it happen

My new "library school" (the school where I will be teaching library) uses Sycamore Education as their management system. As a part of that they offer a library management system. Seeing as how our current system was needing to be changed I decided new librarian....new system.

It was needed of course...the old system was from a company now longer in business and the backup was done in house by a tech guy whenever we told him it needed to be done. It also was designed to hold about 10,000 books, which we are holding more.

All that said, Sycamore is already being paid for....so I decided to give it a shot. And by "give it a shot" I really mean that we are using it and there is no going back. We also upgraded my computer to a newer one (which had the old program on it). Good-bye old computer and old system! Hold on folks this is going to be a bumpy library ride this year!

I have uploaded the books.
1st hurdle....746 books not found
So I go back through our list of books and hand enter close to 700 books.
2nd hurdle....system is listing around 5500 books. Um....I think we have over 10,000....not good
3rd hurdle (not cleared) is figuring out what books are unaccounted.

While ignoring the 3rd hurdle I decide to add the new books that we have.
Enter 4th hurdle! I need to barcode my books and there is only one Avery label style that the system supports! What!? Seriously? So I call company and ask about this...resulting in nothing (that is what they have).
Result = calling other companies for quotes and finally realizing that other companies are crazy expensive and I need to find another way around this.

On the off chance that I might be inspired by something online, I visited Avery's website. At least maybe I can look into the labels that the system supports. And then I find this....

Templates! Maybe I can create label like deals with the school name and then import a bar code somehow....
Check out all that is offered! So many things that would benefit teachers!


Enter into the "label" section and you can enter your product number. It will guide you to the perfect template.


But hold on librarians! That is not the most exciting thing yet....

Remember that I am needing to barcode my books....










Ta-Da!

You can make your own barcodes and QR Codes!!!!

My tech exploration excitement went off the charts....yes I am a tech nerd!

Next post I will give you a "how-to" to create your own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Finding new uses for old books