Privacy Please?!

I'm sure you have seen them....
"Facebook has changed it's privacy settings...I'll be posting this on my timeline for the next ..." types of posts.

I have struggled with whether to respond or not. And if I did, just how to word the response.

Recently, a fellow techie addressed this on her Facebook page (as well as some other "issues"):
https://www.facebook.com/GingerLewman?hc_location=stream

Bottom line: Facebook is a public place.

Reality? I am for the most part a private person. I'll be honest. 

However, I am learning how to weigh the balance of private and public that I need in this entity. I/it am/is a work in progress :) Here are some things to think about:

1. There are privacy settings that you can adjust for yourself.
2. Even individual posts can be set for different privacy settings.


3. You can untag yourself from tagged photos or edit your albums privacy settings. 
For me the biggest issue is not what I put to Facebook, it is what others take and put there. I like to choose the photos of my children that are on Facebook. So for me the best is to untag so that there is not a "connection". I will often save the photo (if I'd like to keep it) and then untag for Facebook privacy.

4. Turn off location service with your photos/camera on smart phones.

5. Ask for permission to post with children's photos! 

6. Be informed! Respect others. Check out the privacy setting options. And if it is not for you, then make that decision as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

idi0t?