Against the flow

Back "in the day" I remember going to the skating rink. I can still picture many of the sights, sounds, and maybe even smells. Everything from the hand stamp, trying on roller skates, finding a cubby for the street shoes, and the first step onto the rink. A couple hours of going round and round to different slow or upbeat music selections. It makes me want to say "those were the good ole days".


Well, skating rinks are still around. Although I haven't stepped foot in one for many years, my oldest daughter just had her first experience. Her reflections were full of literal ups and downs as she gained her "rink legs". By the sounds of it, she had lots of helpful friends keeping her on her feet. She has a few bruises to show for the downs.

However, my favorite story of her time....

My girl who never has stepped onto a rink... My girl who maybe didn't even know if she would stand on her two feel once she got rolling....

Tells me that she started skating against the flow.


My first reaction as she shared this with me was "why?"! Did she not realize that EVERYONE else was going the other direction? (yes) Why did she think that SHE could go that direction? (she didn't think that there was one right way) Did she not just instinctively think that she should go the SAME direction as EVERYONE else? (guess not)

At first I felt like I should have given her more guidance on the "ins and outs" of the rules of the rink. But then, I started to sit back and smile. A sense of pride in my girl who is not afraid to go against the flow. Confident in herself and her abilities. And in the end, willing to obey as the friends and the announcer encouraged her to follow the rule of one way.

That's my kid! Skate on kiddo! And in whatever direction that you feel led :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Finding new uses for old books