Measuring Success

How do you measure success? What does success look like?

So often I think we measure success like a map and getting from point A to point B. If you get from A to B...success! A test with a passing score, end project scoring well on the rubric (we won't even talk about who really did the project parent or kid)....
But what happens when the path of success looks different? A path with detours, backtracking, and road blocks. "Failure", the urge to quit, starting over for the umpteenth time...
http://goo.gl/58pNjG

This week I was able to watch the "middle stuff"/process value. K-6 kiddos were given learning opportunities that were tough ("optimal ambiguity"). Students struggled. I watched teachers struggle in this process as well. It was hard to not step in, help too much, or take over for the sake of end product success. 

I watched the experts I was fortunate to be with +Ginger Lewman and Katie Perez, guiding questions, encouraging, and making connections. It was so fun to work with these two and this awesome group of kiddos. I was challenged! I smile with memories of the day!! 

Can I be honest?...it was hard to help in this way, verses just doing it (showing them how). Struggle and "failure" is hard to watch! However, it leads to that "stick-to-it-ness" that we need in this quick-fix/microwave culture. 

I hope these teachers continue to work with these kiddos on their road to success with these projects or projects like them. The end result will be rewarded with "I did it!", "Yes!!", and many other exclamations of figuring out. And I guarantee the path/road to it will be equally, if not more, rewarding.

Hang in there through the messiness, the stretching of patience, the higher noise level, the _______. Success is a process of failures. Of trying and trying again. Getting out of your comfort zone. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

idi0t?