Hitting the Road...to ISTE Certification

The journey to ISTE Certified Teacher took me to St. Louis this last week. My adventured started online a week before and now in-person at METC (one of four training locations in the US).

A total of 29 educators from multiple states gathered together in the METC's training facility for two days. This group was selected as one of the 1st cohort groups.

Excited about my travels, I awoke at 2:00am (an hour ahead of my alarm). Giving up gaining any additional sleep, around 3:00am I showered and prepared for my 4:15 pick up and delivery to the airport. Boarding the plane at 5:50am and getting on our way by 6:20am, put me in St. Louis around 7:30am. 


Once in St. Louis, I road in my first UBER ride! It was a very nice experience and I would recommend it. My driver was a very good and kept a nice conversation going. I found a seat in our training room just a couple hours ahead of the start time of 10am.



The room slowly began to fill with strangers from all over -- even Japan!


They were not "total strangers", however, as we had met virtually the previous week introducing ourselves to each other. Faces at least were familiar as we gathered. Tables began to fill and with that the day's groups. And we were off on the first leg of our journey!

Day 1 we dug deeper into the pedagogy -- SAMR, TPACK, and UbD. And more! Our fabulous group of METCpd leaders challenging and aiming to deepen our knowledge.

Day 2 we returned to our familiar table and groups (comfort in the familiar)...just to be told that we COULD NOT be with the same group. Really? Yes! So, slowly walking away from my table group I went...when a smiling face said, "You want to join me?". Yes!! And little did I know, but that new table group would become a core support group that would last beyond day 2.


We explored lesson planning with the ISTE Standards and learned what would face us as we left and started the online modules. That afternoon, several of us enjoyed a final in-person lunch and a few of us enjoyed some shopping. I left so thankful for the kind and giving group -- who gave me rides in their rental cars and shared their time with me. Later that evening, I boarded the plane for home.

A week later, we began our online path through four modules: Digital Citizenship, Learning Environments, Diversity, and Personalized Learning. Which equalled, six weeks of assignments, discussions, and learning.

Now we are awaiting the stamp of completion so that we can enter the next phase of the process -- the portfolio. We will have six months to finish from that point. Stay tuned....as the journey continues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Finding new uses for old books