What do you want to be when you grow up?

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
How many times are we ask that question in our childhood?

I love the answers that children have! Veterinarian, Doctor, Astronaut, Teacher, ......
They have high hopes, big aspirations for their lives!
It is an "I can be anything I want to be" attitude.

These kids are ready to take on the world!

Then we "grown up".

Working with college students this week with advising, I saw lots of insecurity. It seemed the question was back, but more "what do I want to be?". How do I help this student? One faculty member posted this on Facebook:
"registering students--oh my-I am supposed to guide them in monumental decisions for the rest of their lives----not sure I always even know what decisions I should be making! Cannot do it on my own---had to have time to pray and seek discernment and wisdom this morning. Leaning on the Lord for sure!!"
It seems very monumental! This is their life we are guiding after all!

However, I am reminded today that the learning doesn't end with college. It doesn't end. We are not "locked" into the role we prepare for. Think of how many changes we make post college.

I'll be honest, there are times that I still ask myself "what do I want to be". I leave off the "when I'm grown up" however :)

It isn't a bad question to ask. It has us look at our passions, talents, gifts, aspirations, goals, desires, etc. It reminds us that we aren't "finished" yet. Lifelong learning!

So, I didn't mind this time that my advisees didn't know "what they wanted to be"/do. They weren't "drifting on the wind", they were seriously looking inward and exploring.

And if I was honest with them, I was right there with them! Asking "what do I want to be?". Praying, like my faculty member, for the discernment and wisdom needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Finding new uses for old books