Podstock Day 2

Final day of Podstock = 3 hour sessions and a closing keynote

Session 1: Gamification: Your Course, One Game, Real Life
I appreciated that this session lead by example. As we entered the room we were greeted with traditional lei and welcomed to our trip to Bermuda. In the session background (on screen) was a video of funny plane attendant announcements. The session began with a video of a flight and plane crash. Finding ourselves now on the Bermuda island, we are faced with several challenges and feats. Each feat we faced involved us applying what we learned to our classroom. My notes for this session are here.

Session 2: Making the Makers - The Role of STEM in the K-8 Classroom
The focus of this session was on the roll of failing. I really liked this quote: "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." To put this to the test, we were given an opportunity to ....fail. We were given this...


What is it?

What do you do with it?

How would you make it better?







We were then given time to answer these questions. I wish I had taken a picture of all of us!
Instead, I just took pictures of the gadget!
This is called an amazing arrow helicopter.

It is really cool...it has a light!

And it isn't as easy to work as you might think. I did say "ouch" a couple times as I learned to "fling" it. So in other words....I failed a few times.

The improvement that I made was bending of the wings different ways.

I'm a sucker for sessions that give me free stuff and allow for me to get up and play! Here are my notes from this session.

Session 3: Early and Often A Daily Dose of Digital Ethics
Virtual handout - http://bit.ly/DailyDoseJSV
The idea of Digital Ethics vs Digital Citizenship.
Preventative Care - planning ahead and thinking backwards
Creating Digital Dose (of learning)

Great reminders and ideas for helping kids stay out of trouble when using digital tools.

My notes are here.





Closing Keynote and prizes
A short and sweet closing keynote by Glenn Wiebe. This was one of my favorite quotes:

It says "I don't want to be a professional student, I want to be an amateur learner."











And I won a clock!
I don't win things!
So this was sweet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Return of....