Sharer Beware

What do you advertise by clicking share on Facebook? Have you ever thought about that?

I tend to probably overanalyze what I share, like and post. But I want what is linked to me to be...well, me. There are certain standards, beliefs, and truths that I stand by and I do not what anything to say otherwise (as much as I can help it).

Back to Facebook specifically, but social media in the board sense. I am seeing a new wave of posts that are advertising for an app that I would say lands itself on the dangerous apps list.

It is subtle...In title, in posts, in advertising. Take a look at this:

Innocent. I almost bit. I have a short little girl, I appreciate her and about shared.

But notice who's photo it is....
Whisper App

Do you know anything about the Whisper App?
Here is their tagline: "is the best place to discover secrets around you"
Their app description: "Ever wondered what the people around you are really thinking?" Whisper is on online community where millions of people around the world share real thoughts, trade advice, and get the inside scoop.

It goes on to say, "see what people are thinking at the places you visit, like your school".


Sound like something that "kids" might be interested in using? Let's take a look at the apps details:

Rated 17+

Infrequent/mild alcohol, tobacco, or drug use or references

Frequent/intense mature/suggestive themes

Infrequent/mild profanity or crude humor


YIKES!








Here is what Common Sense Media has to say:

No one under 17 years old should have this app! Note above that the app requires users to confirm that they are at least 17 years old. And those over 17...if you choose to use the app, just know that nothing is "private". Any app that offers this type of private sharing make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Sharer be aware! Parents be aware!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

Return of....