Finding new uses for old books

Working for a small library can have its benefits and the generosity of those that donate is one benefit. However, it can also be a negative. What do you do with donated books that are old and you feel obligated to house (at least for a time)?

That was one of the first decisions that I faced as I entered my library position. Not wanting to offend anyone....especially the donor....I had to come up with something. So this is my current solution to the problem:

Pictured below: The shelves below the books are now empty and ready for new books! 
The older books are arranged above as decorations :)
 Again another set is arranged
 This set is all about birds, animals, etc and is in the non-fiction section that fits :)
 Here again the books above match the section.

I plan to add fun antiques or "older" looking items to go with the books and add to the decor. This really excited me as I had been looking for decorations to add. This was a no-cost decoration and allowed some shelves to open up for newer books.

Comments

  1. Good idea. In the future you may want to create a donors document that allows you to state that you have final decision on what will happen to donated materials. This will allow you to weed the collection without worry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and Downs

EvaluatingTechnology

idi0t?